Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Metrics

As a software engineer at least part of my day is focused on metrics. Management always seem to be trying to measure progress and sucess. How many lines of code were written? How many bugs were found? How many bugs were fixed? How many support calls did we get? How does that compare to last week, last month, last release?

Now, I'm faced with a simliar problem. How do I measure success? I've said that I don't expect to see big changes, especially right away. But looking back in a week or month or year, how will I know that I've made any progress. The obvious answer is weight. But I really don't want to make this all about weight, more about becoming more healthy and more fit. I'm going to come up with some sort of metrics, data that I can report. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

On the first of each month I'll report my progress, but for now, I'll just report that this morning I weighed 203 pounds. That's the heaviest I've ever weighed, and I hope it's the heaviest I'll ever weigh.

And of course, I'll report on my weekly changes.

No comments: